5.01.2017

Buffalo

Decker with Mark Rothko's Orange and Yellow


Richardson Complex


 For reasons I sometimes can't explain, my hometown of Buffalo will always be a special place for me. As much as I joke about a lot of things about Buffalo, and no matter how much I tell others I hate leaving the city to go back home, I always regret the words as soon as I'm back. It's my hometown and will always be what I consider home, and that's why I'll never be able to let go of it. When I'm home surrounded by friends and family and what I'm most familiar with, it inspires me. 
Growing up I was always in awe of the architecture and the art scene. My dad would take me on drives downtown and always take the long way home pointing out all the buildings and who owns what and who is doing what with what, I'm pretty sure he knows who everyone is around town .
In high school my art teachers became my biggest mentors, I got involved in photography and pottery and joined a local community art space in the city, volunteering and making art. When I received my drivers I found my friends and I driving all over the city and further setting up photoshoots and exploring. All the hours I drove around the city photographing the architecture and taking photos of my friends I think has stuck with me, and that's why I still enjoy those subjects more than anything.
Although so much about Buffalo is so familiar to me and I think I know everything like the back of my hand, I somehow find inspiration somewhere new every time I return. It's a safe place that I'll always know as home. 




Jackson Pollock, Convergence, 1952 
Morris Louis, Alpha, 1960 
Frida Kahlo, Self Portrait with Monkey, 1938
Robert Rauschenberg, Painting with Red Letter S, 1957




Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© ChristinaBusco. Design by Fearne.